Houghton Wines

148 Dale Road, Middle Swan   1800 800 012
Overview

In 1859, Dr John Ferguson purchased the Houghton property for the sum of 350 pounds. Situated on the banks of the Swan River in lush gardens and stately pines, the winery is considered to be Western Australia’s Most Awarded Winery.

In Brief
  • Category: Winery
  • Established: 1859
  • Facilities: Functions
  • Grape Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Shiraz, Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Classic Dry White, Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, Shiraz, Sparkling Rose, Verdelho
  • W/Region: Swan District: All Swan District
In Detail

Houghton holds Western Australia's highest tally of awards on the National Wine Show circuit. Notably, it holds the most awards for cabernet sauvignon, the red variety for which Western Australia is most acclaimed.

The vast state of Western Australia presents a wide palette of opportunity to the winemaker. Across 170 years, Houghton has established vineyard sources in every premium winegrowing region. Its ability to showcase the best of Western Australia is unparalleled offering the wine enthusiast a "virtual tour" of the regions of the state..

Winemaking

The Houghton winery was established in 1836 in Swan Valley and the first commercial Houghton vintage was released in 1859.

Under the guidance and custodianship of many exceptional winemakers, Houghton has flourished and now enjoys an enviable footprint across the length and breadth of Western Australian winegrowing regions.

Today Houghton operates from two winemaking locations: the original Swan Valley property and, since 2001, in the south west at Nannup.

Philosophy

Houghton's winemaking philosophy is to nurture the characteristics particular to each variety and region in Western Australia, creating wines that truly reflect the distinctive landscapes and climates of the fruit's origin.

Exceptional red wines and elegant, aromatic white wines bear the hallmarks of regions from Swan Valley north of Perth through to Margaret River, Pemberton and Australia’s south-western tip at Great Southern.

History

The Houghton property was named after one of its first owners, Lieutenant Colonel Richmond Houghton. He was part of a syndicate of British Army Officers who purchased the land in 1836 although he himself never set foot on the property.

In 1859, Dr John Ferguson purchased the Houghton property for the sum of 350 pounds. In that same year he produced the first 'commercial' vintage of wine from the vineyard, a modest 25 gallons.

Dr Ferguson had the original Houghton ‘Crofters’ homestead built in the manner of a Scottish ‘crofters’ farmhouse of the era. The beautifully restored building still serves as the grand home of Houghton wines. In 1860 Houghton received its first Wine Award, the “Order of Merit” at the Melbourne Exhibition.

This was just the beginning of many triumphs that have made Houghton Western Australia’s most awarded winery.

In 1922 a 16 year old began his winemaking apprenticeship at Houghton, under the guidance of his father George Mann. This young apprentice was the late Jack Mann, who became the driving force of Houghton for an astounding 51 consecutive vintages. No winemaker has brought more passion, creative genius and influence to the Western Australian wine industry. His best-known creation was Houghton White Classic (formerly White Burgundy), first crafted with incredible foresight in 1937 and an Australian favourite to this day.

Under the guidance and custodianship of further exceptional winemakers, Houghton has continued to flourish and now enjoys an enviable footprint across the length and breadth of Western Australian winegrowing regions.

Today Houghton operates from two winemaking locations: the original Swan Valley property and, since 2001, in the south west at Nannup. Fruit from the upper and lower regions thereby retains the freshest, most authentic characteristics in wines that truly represent the Western Australian landscape’s magnificent diversity.

Location