A cooking class is perhaps the best way to sample WA’s local produce. Try a workshop in Margaret River or a class for the kids, or explore the exceptional food and wine trails around the state; many of the cellar doors boast restaurants so you can have the scenery, wine and food in one go.
FOOD AND WINE TRIALS
Margaret River | Margaret River is the undisputed wine capital of WA: award-winning vineyards sprawl across the landscape, with many also boasting prestigious eateries. The best way to sample the gourmet delights is with a tour: visit margaretriver.com to begin your trawl of the extensive itineraries on offer.
Denmark Food and Wine Trail | You’ll find Denmark much quieter than Margaret River, but the local products are equally appetising. The Denmark Food and Wine Trail includes exceptional drops of riesling, chardonnay, pinot noir and shiraz. Be sure to balance your tipple with local fare including marron, berries, cherries and asparagus.
Gascoyne Food Trail | Along with the change of climate, you’ll find a distinct difference in the food available further north. Mangoes, papaya and bananas are features of the Gascoyne Food Trail, but the fertile soil is also good for stone fruits, strawberries and avocados. Seafood is a common theme along the trail too, thanks to the warm waters that are home to prawns, crabs and lobsters.
Perth Hills Wine Trails | The Heart of the Hills (Mundaring) and the Bickley and Carmel Valley wine routes offer majestic forests, peaceful bushwalks and beautiful wildflowers, all within reach of several boutique wineries. Taste your way around the valley while also stopping to pick up delicious produce from roadside fruit stalls and local farms.
Chittering Valley Wine Trail | Venture an hour north-east of Perth to find a delightful trail of wineries nestled in the foothills of the Darling Range. Take the day to wind through undulating hills and valleys, tasting premium drops of shiraz, verdelho, grenache, viognier, chenin blanc and chardonnay.
Swan Valley Food and Wine Trail | This 32km trail takes in the best this plentiful region has to offer. More than 150 attractions are open to explore, from wineries and markets, to breweries and fine restaurants. Pick up a map from the visitor centre in Guildford to begin your journey sampling wines from WA’s oldest grape-growing region.
COOKING FOR KIDS
There are several classes in WA for kids who are keen on cooking. Aspiring chefs can take part in Wildwood Valley’s Kids in the Kitchen course, (08) 9755 2120, aimed at 8- to 15-year-olds. To soothe any nerves, the course commences with a hot chocolate on arrival; during the sessions, the kitchen whizzes follow demonstrations and instructions to prepare a scrumptious banquet to eat for lunch. And while the four-hour course keeps the little ones busy, it’s a perfect opportunity for mums and dads to explore Yallingup and its surrounds. Closer to Perth is Taste Budds, 0415 365 395. Situated in the inner-city suburb of Highgate, its Little Budds (4-8) and Budding Chef (8-16) classes are ideal for youngsters looking to develop their food skills. What’s 2 Eat?, (08) 6201 5054, offers educational cooking classes in which kiddies can learn fun food facts as well as taste the dishes they cook up. There’s a kindergarten program and a school-aged program (pre-primary to year 7), or trial classes for $20. The Little Bakers (0427 198 121) cooking studio in Maddington provides hands-on workshops and classes for littlies, and also hosts cooking parties for those aged 5-15, to celebrate a birthday in ultimate foodie style.
WHERE TO COOK
• The Cooking Professor | Cooking classes 0411 274 712 www.thecookingprofessor.com.au
• Food Four Thought | Cooking classes 0459 333 359 www.foodfourthought.com.au/index.php
• Matters of Taste | Culinary tours and classes (08) 9319 1097 www.mattersoftaste.com.au
• Lawless Cooking | Cooking classes (08) 9444 3525 www.lawlesscooking.com.au
• Urban Provider | Cooking classes and tours (08) 9228 0507 urbanprovider.com.au
• Taste Budds Cooking Studio | Cooking classes 0415 365 395 www.tastebudds.com.au
• Rochelle Adonis | Dessert classes (08) 9227 0007 rochelleadonis.com
• Sweet Artist Academy | Patisserie courses 0407 984 919 www.sweetartistacademy.com.au
• Teach the World | Raw Classes 0418 742 917 Fremantle
• Andersen Cacao Creations Raw | Chocolate-making workshop 0419 235 994 www.andersencacao.com.au
• The Raw Kitchen | Workshops (08) 9433 4647 www.therawkitchen.com.au/pages/workshops
• Swan Valley Tours | Wine tasting (08) 9274 1199 www.svtours.com.au
• The Cheese Maker | Cheese-making 0412 260 876 www.thecheesemaker.com.au
• Taste Bud Tours | Food and wine tasting 0412 244 201 www.tastebudtours.com.au
• Ha Ve Harvey Cheese | Cheese-making (08) 9729 3949 www.acheesemakingclass.com
• Wildwood Valley | Cooking classes (08) 9755 2120 www.wildwoodvalley.com.au/food.htm
• Cape Lodge Cooking School | Seasonal classes (08) 9780 5911
• Foragers | Cooking classes, workshops and dinner events
(08) 9776 1580 www.foragers.com.au
• The Larder | Cooking classes (08) 9758 8990 www.larder.biz/cooking-classes